Friday 12 June 2009


April 1st, 2009

Touch down, woohoo! After months of planning, research, saving...I am actually in Tokyo. Unreal. Albeit on April Fool's day and very rainy indeed. Thing is, I don't actually know any Japanese. Tried to learn, but was too busy partying and courting. Plus what's the point when the language wasn't going to stick? Oh the joys of knowing Chinese. That's right. Being here wasn't as shocking as if I was a total non-asian foreigner, as anything can be guessed as long as it had kanji, plus I'd done so much research and surveys on the godamn city that the neon lights was beyond a novelty. So behold my new home. For the next 365 days.



First meal EVER in Tokyo, Japan. Yes, it had to be Yoshinoya. Where else can you find cheap trashy food at midnight in the middle of downtown Tokyo? I didn't realise at the time, but it was definitely the place to break in my virgin tastebuds, being operational 24/7 and at affordable prices. It's literally a national tradition, to get trashed and go for a beef/pork bowl at Yoshinoya amongst the drunk salarymen at god-knows-why-you're-still-out-o'clock in the morning. Well, it was worth it after dragging my luggage in the rain for 45 minutes to the hostel through eerie temples in a foreign land I hardly know.

1 comment:

  1. hahah! i had yoshinoya my first day here too!!! the guy spoke english >D so it saved my life

    ReplyDelete