Tuesday 7 July 2009

Alex Tse (Watchmen Scriptwriter) interview


"None of you get it...I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me!"

So last night I got to see 'Watchmen' again, this time on a gimungous widescreen HD TV in bluray format. First time I saw the film was back in London on the silver screen, and even without having read the graphic novel the concept of the plot blew me away. Being in Tokyo and not having a lot of money can be very boring, so to have a dear friend who has an HD tv the size of which is almost measureable in tatami floorspace, not to mention access to films and the whole Invader Zim series is a GODSEND. So I felt very blessed to be in company for his first viewing of the film adaptation, plus I had the bonus of a running commentary from someone that actually read the novel and make comparisons.

Anyway, I digress. Whilst doing post-film research on the makers of Watchmen, I stumbled across this interview with Alex Tse, the screen writer for the film, in which he talks about his experiences being an Asian-American in the Hollywood film industry.

http://www.hyphenmagazine.com/content/view/146/1

Reason I found this interesting initially was because it was a pleasant surprise finding out that an Asian-American actually wrote screenplay for this version of the film. Not that I'm as hardcore Asian as some, but it's always intriguing and inspiring finding out those who are and the road they had to travel to achieve their success.

2 comments:

  1. just watched the directors cut, second viewing of the film at all since initial release where i really liked it bur felt it dragged on a bit, although i did make made strong hash cookies ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol...it's interesting ur comments are mostly likned with inebriation of some sort or another

    ReplyDelete